Paid Advertisement

Ravens

Cal cornerback Anthony taken with Ravens' final pick

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — The Ravens concluded their 2013 draft by selecting California cornerback Marc Anthony in the seventh round with the 247th overall pick. Anthony was a three-year starter for the Bears and posted 138 tackles, 13 tackles for a loss, 21 pass breakups, and five interceptions. At 5-foot-11 and 196 pounds, the 23-year-old projects to compete for a roster spot via special teams and depth in the secondary. General manager Ozzie Newsome said prior to the draft that you can never have too many cornerbacks, so the Ravens’ decision to take one with their final pick is hardly surprising.

Colorado State-Pueblo center Jensen taken with 203rd overall pick

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — The Ravens went the small-school route again in selecting offensive lineman Ryan Jensen from Colorado State-Pueblo with their second sixth-round pick. Jensen was the 203rd overall selection after playing Division II football and will be expected to compete for a roster spot along the Ravens’ interior offensive line. He was listed as a center when the Ravens announced the pick, but Jensen wasn’t a household name on most draft experts’ radars. General manager Ozzie Newsome said earlier this offseason that the Ravens would like to bring in another center to compete with 2012 fourth-round pick Gino Gradkowski. Jensen is 6-foot-3 and 317 pounds.

Ravens "working way through" fallout of Rolando McClain arrest

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — Speaking to the media following the Ravens’ first-round selection of safety Matt Elam, general manager Ozzie Newsome was asked about troubled linebacker Rolando McClain, who was arrested in his hometown of Decature, Ala. last weekend. Newsome’s answer was short when asked where McClain stood with his new team, but that’s to be expected at least until after the conclusion of the draft. McClain was arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, two misdemeanors, and was released on $1,000 bond. The Ravens signed McClain to a one-year contract worth $700,000 on April 12 and had said recently in an interview that he would avoid visiting his hometown as often due to his past legal problems. Many have speculated that Baltimore will part ways with the inside linebacker since they did not guarantee any of his contract, which also includes $400,000 in incentives based on playing time. “I knew he was going back to Decatur, but that’s still a process,” Newsome said. “We’re still working our way through it.” As of earlier this week, it was believed that McClain had yet to participate in the Ravens’ voluntary offseason conditioning program. Newsome reminded media that McClain has no obligation

Ravens sign former Bears and Broncos quarterback Hanie to one-year deal

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — Needing to add quarterback depth for the offseason as well as training camp, the Ravens officialy signed free-agent quarterback Caleb Hanie to a one-year deal on Tuesday. The former Chicago Bears backup spent the 2012 season as the No. 3 signal caller for the Denver Broncos and started four games for the Bears in 2011 after starter Jay Cutler was injured. The 27-year-old has played in 10 games in his career, completing 59 of 116 passes for three touchdowns and 10 interceptions. “We felt like it would be important to bring a quarterback in at this point in time in order to learn the offense from the ground up,” coach John Harbaugh said. “He’s a talented guy. He’s played in games, maybe hasn’t been in the ideal situation for him yet, but based on the evaluation of our pro department with [director of pro personnel] Vince Newsome and our coaches, they feel like he fit us pretty well.” Much in the same way that the Ravens added former Indianapolis quarterback Curtis Painter last offseason, Hanie will provide another veteran arm during preseason workouts and will compete with backup Tyrod Taylor. However, Baltimore is pleased with the

Ravens begin voluntary offseason workout program on Monday

Following their Super Bowl XLVII victory and an array of changes this offseason, the Ravens will return to Owings Mills for the start of the voluntary offseason workout program on Monday. Coach John Harbaugh and his staff will begin the first phase of the workout program, which is limited to two weeks of conditioning and strength training as well as physical rehabilitation. Many notable players and young players alike will be present on the first day. “It’s officially the first day we work towards defending our title,” wide receiver Torrey Smith wrote on his official Twitter account on Monday morning. The second phase of the offseason schedule covers the next three weeks of the program. On-field workouts that include individual player instruction and drills as well as a practice conducted on a “separate” basis are permitted, but no live contact or team offense against team defense drills are allowed. The final phase of the offseason program consists of the next four weeks. During this period, teams may conduct a total of 10 days of organized team practice activity, or OTAs. No live contact is allowed, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are acceptable. Nearly all workouts are considered “voluntary” by

Ravens DL Hall moving to inside linebacker

After being active for only five games in his first season on the Ravens’ 53-man roster, defensive lineman Bryan Hall will move to linebacker this season. Listed at 291 pounds and considered an undersized defensive tackle, Hall told the team’s official website he’s lost 23 pounds over the last three weeks. He spent the entire 2011 season on the Ravens’ practice squad before making the team last summer. Hall showed versatility in training camp practices last year as he occasionally lined up at inside linebacker for the scout team. He made three tackles in his limited role last season. “[Coach John Harbaugh] told me that he felt like I was too good of a player to be on the bench,” Hall said to the team’s official site. “He was just trying to give me an opportunity to get on the field and play more. It’s the NFL, you’ve always got to progress.” With the free-agent additions of veterans Chris Canty and Marcus Spears, Hall was facing an uphill battle to make the team along the defensive line. The Ravens have lost inside linebackers Ray Lewis, Dannell Ellerbe, and Brendon Ayanbadejo in the offseason, so Hall figures to have a better

Ayanbadejo clarifies stance on Ravens' decision to terminate contract

A Thursday interview with Newsday sparked plenty of controversy for former Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo, who was officially let go by the organization earlier in the day. The publication implied Ayanbadejo believes his outspoken support of same-sex marriage may have been a factor in the Ravens’ decision to terminate his contract despite having two years remaining on the agreement. The three-time Pro Bowl special-teams player will turn 37 at the start of the 2013 season. “I was a vocal guy and garnered a lot of attention,” Ayanbadejo said to the publication. “I brought a lot of issues with me to the Super Bowl and the issues came up at the Super Bowl. My bark is louder than my bite. I make a lot of noise and garner a lot of attention for various things off the football field. When that starts happening, why do you have that player around?” The veteran acknowledged his play has dropped off in recent years, which was evident late in the season when the Ravens used young linebackers such as Josh Bynes and Albert McClellan when Ray Lewis, Dannell Ellerbe, and Jameel McClain were sidelined with injuries. Ayanbadejo used his official Twitter account to clarify

Pro Bowl RB Rice offers support to embattled Rutgers AD Pernetti

Ravens running back Ray Rice is offering his support to embattled Rutgers athletic director Tim Pernetti in wake of the firing of men’s basketball coach Mike Rice earlier this week. Many have called for the removal of top university administrators for failing to remove Rice despite video evidence of the coach’s behavior during practice, which included pushing players, throwing basketballs at them, and berating them with gay slurs. More than 50 Rutgers faculty members reportedly signed a letter asking for the termination of Pernetti and an explanation from president Robert Barchi on why he didn’t fire Rice when learning of the video displaying his conduct. However, the Pro Bowl running back along with other former Rutgers standouts are showing their support for Pernetti. Rice has cited in interviews that the athletic director even encouraged him to graduate at the school’s recent pro day for NFL prospects. “Big 10 doesn’t happen without Mr. Pernetti,” Rice wrote on his official Twitter account. “He has done a GREAT job for RU, our future is bright with him leading us.” Rice also endorsed a tweet posted by former Rutgers and NFL offensive lineman Shaun O’Hara calling for football alumni to stand up for Pernetti.

Ravens safety Thompson suspended for violating substance abuse policy

Ravens safety Christian Thompson has been suspended for the first four games of the 2013 season due to violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy, the league announced Monday. The 2012 fourth-round pick out of South Carolina State will be suspended without pay but will remain eligible to participate in organized team activities, training camp, and all preseason games before his suspension goes into effect at the start of the regular season. At that point, Thompson will not be allowed at the team’s training facility in Owings Mills. “We have been aware of this situation for some time,” general manager Ozzie Newsome told the team’s official website on Monday. The free-agent addition of veteran safety Michael Huff makes the news of Thompson’s suspension less severe as Huff and veteran James Ihedigbo are projected to start at free safety and strong safety respectively. The Ravens are also expected to take a long look at a deep class of rookie safeties in this month’s draft. Active for seven games in his rookie season before being placed on season-ending injured reserve with a knee injury on Nov. 17, Thompson held a role on special teams in limited duty and did not record a tackle

A. Jones, McClellan sign tenders for 2013 season

As the Ravens continued to make moves to bolster their defense, two incumbent members of their Super Bowl team officially signed their respective tenders on Wednesday. Defensive lineman Arthur Jones signed his second-round tender worth $2.02 million for the 2013 season. This means that other teams may no longer negotiate with Jones in an effort to sign him to an offer sheet and potentially pluck him away from Baltimore. In his third NFL season, Jones emerged as a viable threat along the defensive line as he made six starts and finished the year with 47 tackles and 4 1/2 sacks. He will compete with veteran free-agent additions Chris Canty and Marcuse Spears for playing time along the defensive line as it’s been speculated that Pro Bowl defensive tackle Haloti Ngata will move inside to play more nose tackle this season. After taking Jones in the fifth round of the 2010 draft from Syracuse, the Ravens could still explore a contract extension for the 6-foot-3, 315-pound lineman as he is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent following the 2013 season. Linebacker Albert McClellan also signed his exclusive-rights tender on Wednesday, which was only a formality considering players with less than

8

Paid Advertisement

Podcast Audio Vault

8
8
8

Paid Advertisement

Scroll to Top
Verified by MonsterInsights