A Thursday interview with Newsday sparked plenty of controversy for former Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo, who was officially let go by the organization earlier in the day.
The publication implied Ayanbadejo believes his outspoken support of same-sex marriage may have been a factor in the Ravens’ decision to terminate his contract despite having two years remaining on the agreement. The three-time Pro Bowl special-teams player will turn 37 at the start of the 2013 season.
“I was a vocal guy and garnered a lot of attention,” Ayanbadejo said to the publication. “I brought a lot of issues with me to the Super Bowl and the issues came up at the Super Bowl. My bark is louder than my bite. I make a lot of noise and garner a lot of attention for various things off the football field. When that starts happening, why do you have that player around?”
The veteran acknowledged his play has dropped off in recent years, which was evident late in the season when the Ravens used young linebackers such as Josh Bynes and Albert McClellan when Ray Lewis, Dannell Ellerbe, and Jameel McClain were sidelined with injuries.
Ayanbadejo used his official Twitter account to clarify his remarks, mentioning that he had seen “yellow journalism” at work over his words.
“Just a heads up I did an interview today and no way said I was cut because my views,” Ayanbadejo wrote. “I said my talk was louder than my production [and] at 36 when you are not producing it is a fair move. You can find cheaper guys to do what I do. Ravens are the BEST organization in the [NFL] period!”
He went on to write that team president Dick Cass and the Ravens supported his views all season and that it “makes no sense” to believe the organization dumped him for his views on marriage equality. Ayanbadejo left the door open for a potential return in responding to general manager Ozzie Newsome’s comments on Thursday but also said there’s no guarantee that he will even continue his playing career.
Ayanbadejo clarifies stance on Ravens' decision to terminate contract
Luke Jones
Luke Jones is the Ravens and Orioles beat reporter for WNST BaltimorePositive.com and is a PFWA member. His mind is consumed with useless sports knowledge, pro wrestling promos, and movie quotes, but he often forgets where he put his phone. Luke's favorite sports memories include being one of the thousands of kids who waited for Cal Ripken's autograph after Orioles games in the summer of 1995, attending the Super Bowl XXXV victory parade with his dad in the pouring rain, and watching the Terps advance to the Final Four at the Carrier Dome in 2002. Follow him on social media @BaltimoreLuke or email him at Luke@wnst.net.
Podcast Audio Vault
Right Now in Baltimore
As MLB moves toward inevitable labor war, where do Orioles fit into the battle?
We're all excited about the possibilities of the 2026 MLB season but the clouds of labor war are percolating even in spring training. Luke Jones and Nestor discuss the complicated complications of six decades of Major League Baseball labor history and the bubbling situation for a salary cap. And what will the role of the new Baltimore Orioles ownership be in the looming dogfight?
Profits are up, accountability is down and internal report cards are a no-no for guys like Steve
The NFL continues to rule the sports world even in the slowest of times. Luke Jones and Nestor discuss the NFLPA report cards on franchises and transparency and accountability amongst billionaires who can't even get an Epstein List regular who just hired John Harbaugh to come to light and off their ownership ledgers. We'd ask Steve Bisciotti about it, but of course he's evaporated again for a while...
Orioles' Westburg out through at least April with partially torn elbow ligament
Since playing in the 2024 All-Star Game, Jordan Westburg has endured a relentless run of injuries.

















