OWINGS MILLS, Md. — Veteran defensive end Chris Canty will become the latest Ravens player to land on injured reserve after suffering a torn pectoral muscle in Sunday’s loss to Seattle.
Canty underwent a magnetic resonance imaging exam before head coach John Harbaugh announced the news at his Monday press conference. The 33-year-old missed four games earlier this season with a calf injury and had collected 19 tackles and one sack in nine games.
After being cut early in the offseason, Canty was re-signed to a two-year, $4.65 million contract in mid-March. After trading five-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Haloti Ngata to the Detroit Lions, the Ravens believed Canty’s experience and leadership would help a young defensive line entering 2015.
“I’m so glad that we were able to bring Chris Canty back this year,” Harbaugh said. “He’s played really great football, but more than that, he’s been a tremendous leader. He’s been a stand-up guy. He’s led the way with a bunch of young guys on defense, especially with the young front-seven guys. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Chris Canty and what he’s done for us this year.”
Though under contract for another season, Canty carries a $2.915 million salary cap figure for 2016, meaning the Ravens could part ways with the 11th-year veteran to save $2.15 million in cap space. The University of Virginia product recently told WNST.net that he wants to continue playing next season despite pondering retirement at the end of last season.
With fifth-year defensive end Lawrence Guy playing effectively in three starts earlier this season and 2014 fourth-round pick Brent Urban finally healthy, the Ravens would appear to be in good shape at the 5-technique defensive end position if they decide to release Canty this winter.
When the Canty roster move becomes official, the Ravens will have 18 players on IR, which does not include tight end Dennis Pitta spending the entire year on the reserve physically unable to perform list.
Canty becomes latest Ravens player going to injured reserve
Luke Jones
Luke Jones is the Ravens and Orioles beat reporter for WNST BaltimorePositive.com and is a PFWA member. His mind is consumed with useless sports knowledge, pro wrestling promos, and movie quotes, but he often forgets where he put his phone. Luke's favorite sports memories include being one of the thousands of kids who waited for Cal Ripken's autograph after Orioles games in the summer of 1995, attending the Super Bowl XXXV victory parade with his dad in the pouring rain, and watching the Terps advance to the Final Four at the Carrier Dome in 2002. Follow him on social media @BaltimoreLuke or email him at Luke@wnst.net.
Podcast Audio Vault
Right Now in Baltimore
As MLB moves toward inevitable labor war, where do Orioles fit into the battle?
We're all excited about the possibilities of the 2026 MLB season but the clouds of labor war are percolating even in spring training. Luke Jones and Nestor discuss the complicated complications of six decades of Major League Baseball labor history and the bubbling situation for a salary cap. And what will the role of the new Baltimore Orioles ownership be in the looming dogfight?
Profits are up, accountability is down and internal report cards are a no-no for guys like Steve
The NFL continues to rule the sports world even in the slowest of times. Luke Jones and Nestor discuss the NFLPA report cards on franchises and transparency and accountability amongst billionaires who can't even get an Epstein List regular who just hired John Harbaugh to come to light and off their ownership ledgers. We'd ask Steve Bisciotti about it, but of course he's evaporated again for a while...
Orioles' Westburg out through at least April with partially torn elbow ligament
Since playing in the 2024 All-Star Game, Jordan Westburg has endured a relentless run of injuries.

















