Paid Advertisement

Ravens bring back veteran defensive end Canty on two-year deal

8

Paid Advertisement

Podcast Audio Vault

8
8

Paid Advertisement

Less than three weeks after releasing Chris Canty, the Ravens re-signed the veteran defensive end on Wednesday.
The 32-year-old was cut on February 27 to save $2.66 million in salary cap space, but general manager Ozzie Newsome said at the time that the Ravens wouldn’t close the door on a potential reunion. Canty was scheduled to visit the Seattle Seahawks this week before agreeing to a two-year deal that reportedly includes a team option for the 2016 season.
“We talked weeks ago about the possibility of Chris coming back,” Newsome said in a team release, “and we are happy he is.”
His new deal is worth a total of $4.65 million and includes a $1.5 million signing bonus and $1 million base salary for the 2015 season, according to The Sun. This would create a $1.75 million cap figure for this season.
Canty spent the last two seasons with the Ravens and appeared in 26 games, collecting 63 tackles and 2 1/2 sacks. Though Canty didn’t make a huge impact on the field, Baltimore will welcome back his veteran leadership on a young defensive line after five-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Haloti Ngata was traded to the Detroit Lions last week.
With veteran Lawrence Guy currently an unrestricted free agent, the Ravens would have been leaning heavily on the returns of injured defensive linemen Brent Urban and Kapron Lewis-Moore at the 5-technique defensive end spot with neither having taken an NFL snap in their respective careers. Second-year defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan is expected to step into Ngata’s spot on the starting defensive line.
Canty missed five games during the 2014 season while recovering from a staph infection in his wrist in October and an ankle injury at the end of the regular season. In his 10-year career, he has also played for the Dallas Cowboys and the New York Giants, serving as a member of the Super Bowl XLVI championship team.

Share the Post:
8

Paid Advertisement

Right Now in Baltimore

As MLB moves toward inevitable labor war, where do Orioles fit into the battle?

As MLB moves toward inevitable labor war, where do Orioles fit into the battle?

We're all excited about the possibilities of the 2026 MLB season but the clouds of labor war are percolating even in spring training. Luke Jones and Nestor discuss the complicated complications of six decades of Major League Baseball labor history and the bubbling situation for a salary cap. And what will the role of the new Baltimore Orioles ownership be in the looming dogfight?
Profits are up, accountability is down and internal report cards are a no-no for guys like Steve

Profits are up, accountability is down and internal report cards are a no-no for guys like Steve

The NFL continues to rule the sports world even in the slowest of times. Luke Jones and Nestor discuss the NFLPA report cards on franchises and transparency and accountability amongst billionaires who can't even get an Epstein List regular who just hired John Harbaugh to come to light and off their ownership ledgers. We'd ask Steve Bisciotti about it, but of course he's evaporated again for a while...
Orioles' Westburg out through at least April with partially torn elbow ligament

Orioles' Westburg out through at least April with partially torn elbow ligament

Since playing in the 2024 All-Star Game, Jordan Westburg has endured a relentless run of injuries.
8
8
8

Paid Advertisement

Scroll to Top
Verified by MonsterInsights