Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome has used high draft picks, made trades, and even handed out long-term contracts, but the same pursuit continues beyond a stopgap or two.
Heโs still chasing the on-field ghost of Jonathan Ogden, the Hall of Fame left tackle and the first player selected in the history of the franchise with the fourth pick of the 1996 draft. With every passing year, appreciation grows deeper for what Ogden did for more than a decade as they complete their eighth season since his retirement at the end of the 2007 campaign.
Finding a future Hall of Famer at the position is one thing, but Newsome and the Ravens would settle for a guy who they can pencil into the lineup for the next four or five years and be able to sleep well at night.
Not counting backups filling in due to injuries, thereโs been Jared Gaither, Michael Oher, Bryant McKinnie, and Eugene Monroe, none holding down the position for more than a season or two before concerns resurface. Fourth-year left guard Kelechi Osemele has become the latest man to receive a shot as he started his first NFL game at left tackle in Sundayโs loss to Seattle.
Scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, Osemele will remain at left tackle for the final three games of 2015, according to head coach John Harbaugh.
โI thought he looked good. There are some things that he can do better,โ Harbaugh said. โSometimes the sets and the angles and the timing the movement, sometimes itโs something that heโll get a feel for more and more as he plays. But he had lots of good blocks [in] pass protection and the run game. I thought he was a bright spot.โ
A left tackle at Iowa State before being selected in the second round of the 2012 draft, Osemele expressed his enjoyment for the position after Sundayโs 35-6 loss, but the Ravens may only be enhancing the linemanโs value on the open market instead of finding a long-term solution for themselves. With a less-than-enviable salary cap situation going into the offseason, Newsome signed four-time Pro Bowl right guard Marshal Yanda to a four-year extension earlier this fall, leading many to believe that Osemele will receive a big payday elsewhere.
Even if the above-average guard looks the part of a long-term left tackle over these final three games, thereโs still the matter of what the Ravens will do with Monroe, who is only in the second season of a five-year, $37.5 million contract that clearly hasnโt worked out. Placed on injured reserve with a shoulder injury over the weekend, Monroe has started just 17 games over the last two seasons and finished only three of the six contests he started this season.
Though heโs generally been solid when heโs played over the last two years, his performance still hasnโt been as strong as it was in 2013 when the Ravens traded fourth- and fifth-round draft picks to Jacksonville to acquire him in early October of that season. After concluding that Oher, their 2009 first-round pick, wasnโt suited for the blind side and having concerns about McKinnieโs commitment to the game, the Ravens felt Monroe would finally be the long-term answer they had sought from the time that Ogden retired.
After missing only four games in his first five seasons in the NFL, Monroe has missed 17 starts in the last two years, including two playoff games last season. After he left the Nov. 22 game against St. Louis with a shoulder injury, backup James Hurt rolled into quarterback Joe Flaccoโs left knee, causing a season-ending injury.
In addition to Monroe reportedly refusing a simple contract restructuring that would have provided some salary-cap relief this past offseason, his inability to stay on the field at such an important position has frustrated the organization.
โItโs just disappointing, because hereโs a guy that youโre counting on, we trade two picks for him, and he has played well,โ Harbaugh said. โAs he said, he was playing the best football of his career this year when he came back for two or three weeks or whenever he was back. I think that was the most crushing thing for him, because he felt like he was really playing really good football.
โItโs not what we hoped for. We hoped that heโd be in the lineup and playing, and thatโs not what he hoped for [either]. Nobody works harder. This guy trains like you canโt believe, so itโs a tough deal.โ
Many fans are clamoring for Monroe to be released in the offseason as he is scheduled to make $6.5 million in base salary and carry an $8.7 million figure for 2016. Cutting him with a pre-June 1 designation would save $2.1 million in cap space while leaving $6.6 million in dead money, a sizable chunk considering the many weaknesses Baltimore will need to address on both sides of the ball before next season. A post June-1 designation would push most of that dead money to 2017, but the Ravens would not be able to take advantage of that cap space until most free-agent activity would long be over.
Even if Newsome and the Ravens elect to move on from Monroe, it remains unclear whether Osemele would be within their price range, making it possible that they could turn to the draft to find their answer. Currently set to pick in the top five of Aprilโs draft, the Ravens may find Laremy Tunsil of Ole Miss or Notre Dameโs Ronnie Stanley as attractive โ and more affordable โ options at left tackle with their first pick.
Regardless of what happens over the next few months, the Ravens find themselves back in an all-too-familiar position.
Theyโre still trying to replace No. 75.

Luke Jones
Luke Jones is the Ravens and Orioles beat reporter for WNST BaltimorePositive.com and is a PFWA member. His mind is consumed with useless sports knowledge, pro wrestling promos, and movie quotes, but he often forgets where he put his phone. Luke's favorite sports memories include being one of the thousands of kids who waited for Cal Ripken's autograph after Orioles games in the summer of 1995, attending the Super Bowl XXXV victory parade with his dad in the pouring rain, and watching the Terps advance to the Final Four at the Carrier Dome in 2002. Follow him on social media @BaltimoreLuke or email him at Luke@wnst.net.
Podcast Audio Vault
Share the Post:
Right Now in Baltimore
A Friday "after hours" Harbaugh extension news dump and Justin Tucker is still the Ravens' kicker
All is very quiet in Owings Mills and the aftermath of the NFL Owners Meetings in Florida but owner Steve Bisciotti (quietly) inked head coach John Harbaugh to a three-year extension and team president Sashi Brown defended keeping Justin Tuckerโฆ
Who is going to pitch in for Orioles as starters leave early?
After Grayson Rodriguez went down in spring training, we knew this rotation was going to look shaky as the Orioles' season began but the first week has been a preview of what's to come and that means the relief corpsโฆ
Maryland officially names Buzz Williams as new men's basketball coach
Most recently with Texas A&M, the 52-year-old has led his teams to 11 NCAA Tournament appearances in 18 years as a head coach.