Paid Advertisement

Ravens release Canty to clear $2.66 million in cap space

8

Paid Advertisement

Podcast Audio Vault

8
8

Paid Advertisement

Defensive end Chris Canty became the second veteran player to be released by the Ravens this week.
The 32-year-old had his contract terminated on Friday morning, a move that saves the Ravens $2.66 million on their 2015 salary cap. Canty was entering the final season of a three-year, $8 million contract and had been pondering retirement this winter, but many predicted he would be a roster victim due to the Ravens’ tight salary-cap situation.
Return specialist Jacoby Jones had his contract terminated earlier this week.
“I am very proud to be a Raven,” Canty said in a statement released by the organization. “They are a great franchise, and I was privileged to be a contributor to that outstanding tradition of defense that is part of the team’s lore.
“I am going to continue to prepare to play again and will explore other possibilities to play the game I love.”
In 26 games over two seasons with Baltimore, Canty didn’t make a big impact on the field, but he was one of the most respected veterans in the locker room, a detail that shouldn’t be overlooked after the turbulent nature of last year with the Ray Rice saga and four other player arrests. However, with the Ravens selecting defensive end Brent Urban in the fourth round of the 2014 draft — he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in last year’s training camp — and also having younger options on the roster such as DeAngelo Tyson and Kapron Lewis-Moore, Canty was viewed as expendable.
The Ravens could also re-sign veteran Lawrence Guy, who played effectively at the 5-technique in the defensive line rotation after being picked up from the San Diego Chargers in early October. General manager Ozzie Newsome did not rule out the possibility of bringing back Canty at a reduced rate, but the Ravens will likely be content in going with younger, cheaper options at defensive end.
“We are a better franchise for having Chris Canty with us the last two years,” head coach John Harbaugh said in a statement. “He added maturity and leadership. Chris played well and played a lot of snaps for us, especially last season. He was an outstanding contributor to our playoff season in 2014.”
Canty missed five games during the 2014 campaign while dealing with a staph infection in his wrist in October and an ankle injury at the end of the regular season. He finished the year with 33 tackles, two pass breakups, a forced fumble, and a half-sack.
In his 10-year career, Canty has also played for the Dallas Cowboys and the New York Giants, earning a Super Bowl XLVI championship ring.

Share the Post:
8

Paid Advertisement

Right Now in Baltimore

Twelve Ravens Thoughts following press conference for Jesse Minter's new coordinators

Twelve Ravens Thoughts following press conference for Jesse Minter's new coordinators

Luke Jones offers his latest purple musings after hearing from Declan Doyle, Anthony Weaver, and Anthony Levine on Wednesday.
Doubling up on the original numbers

Doubling up on the original numbers

Big winners report in daily at the Maryland Lottery headquarters but it's always fun when it's a million dollars on the Eastern Shore in a fun winner scratch-off person with a perfect plan. Executive Director John Martin returns to update us on all things spring and winning ahead for the lucky ones.
It's time to soiree with O.J. on Friday the 27th

It's time to soiree with O.J. on Friday the 27th

The amazing gift of O.J. Brigance continues to give to the universe and he'll be back with the Brigance Brigade on February 27th as the "Soiree With O.J." continues to raise awareness, funding and real support for families affected by ALS. Drew Vanlandingham of The Brigance Brigade updates Nestor on The Juice and plans ahead for the event and the future of everyone's favorite local hero.
8
8
8

Paid Advertisement

Scroll to Top
Verified by MonsterInsights