Paid Advertisement

Ray Rice indicted for third-degree aggravated assault

8

Paid Advertisement

Podcast Audio Vault

8
8

Paid Advertisement

Ravens running back Ray Rice was indicted on an aggravated assault charge stemming form an incident that occurred at an Atlantic City casino last month, acting Atlantic County prosecutor Jim McClain announced Thursday.
The 27-year-old allegedly struck and rendered his fiancee, Janay Palmer, unconscious in the Revel Casino on Feb. 15 and was initially arrested and charged with simple assault-domestic violence. However, the case was referred to the prosecutor’s office for further review as Palmer was also charged with simple assault-domestic violence for allegedly striking Rice.
Prosecutors presented the case to the grand jury, which handed down the more serious charge of third-degree aggravated assault “for attempting to cause significant body injury, and/or purposely or knowing causing such injury, and/or recklessly causing such injury under extreme indifference to the value of human life.” The charge carries a potential three-to-five year prison sentence with a conviction.
The original charge against Palmer was dismissed.
“On behalf of Ray Rice we vehemently deny that Mr. Rice committed an aggravated assault,” Rice’s attorney, Michael Diamondstein, told The Press of Atlantic City on Thursday. “Both Mr. Rice and Miss Palmer are together, they are happy, and they’re in counseling.”
The attorney also expressed that neither Rice nor Palmer want to move forward with the case.
The Ravens have stood by Rice since last month’s evidence became public with owner Steve Bisciotti saying earlier this week that the troubled running back would remain with the team in 2014. Head coach John Harbaugh echoed Bisciotti’s sentiment at the NFL owners meetings in Orlando on Tuesday.
The organization released the following statement on Thursday afternoon regarding the indictment:

“This is part of the due process for Ray. We know there is more to Ray Rice than this one incident.”

League commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday that the NFL was continuing to monitor the case but expressed that there was no timetable on any potential discipline being handed down to the seventh-year running back.

Share the Post:
8

Paid Advertisement

Right Now in Baltimore

As MLB moves toward inevitable labor war, where do Orioles fit into the battle?

As MLB moves toward inevitable labor war, where do Orioles fit into the battle?

We're all excited about the possibilities of the 2026 MLB season but the clouds of labor war are percolating even in spring training. Luke Jones and Nestor discuss the complicated complications of six decades of Major League Baseball labor history and the bubbling situation for a salary cap. And what will the role of the new Baltimore Orioles ownership be in the looming dogfight?
Profits are up, accountability is down and internal report cards are a no-no for guys like Steve

Profits are up, accountability is down and internal report cards are a no-no for guys like Steve

The NFL continues to rule the sports world even in the slowest of times. Luke Jones and Nestor discuss the NFLPA report cards on franchises and transparency and accountability amongst billionaires who can't even get an Epstein List regular who just hired John Harbaugh to come to light and off their ownership ledgers. We'd ask Steve Bisciotti about it, but of course he's evaporated again for a while...
Orioles' Westburg out through at least April with partially torn elbow ligament

Orioles' Westburg out through at least April with partially torn elbow ligament

Since playing in the 2024 All-Star Game, Jordan Westburg has endured a relentless run of injuries.
8
8
8

Paid Advertisement

Scroll to Top
Verified by MonsterInsights