Paid Advertisement

Twelve Orioles thoughts following 4-0 loss to Cleveland

8

Paid Advertisement

Podcast Audio Vault

8
8

Paid Advertisement

With the Orioles being shut out at home for the second time this season in a 4-0 loss to Cleveland, I’ve offered a dozen thoughts, each in 50 words or less:

1. The absence of Trey Mancini didn’t bode well for an offense that was already struggling and without Jonathan Schoop, so the end result wasn’t exactly shocking. Baltimore has now been held to three or fewer runs in 14 of 21 games this season.

2. Indians starter Mike Clevinger had a good 2017 campaign, but he had logged seven or more innings in just three of his 34 career starts before his first career shutout. Give the 27-year-old credit, but this has been an all-too-familiar pattern for the 2018 Orioles.

3. The bar is extremely low, but Chris Tillman showed some improvement in giving the Orioles a chance to win by completing six innings for the first time since July 17 of last season. He managed only four swinging strikes, but he threw some decent breaking pitches and struck out five.

4. Despite a low pitch count, Tillman’s stamina came into question beginning in the fourth inning as his velocity dipped. He gave up solo home runs on poorly-located fastballs clocked at 86, 86, and 87 miles per hour. That’s just not going to get the job done.

5. With the middle of the Cleveland order coming up a third time, Buck Showalter could have gone to the bullpen after five and allowed Tillman to leave on a high note. That said, he had just recorded his first 1-2-3 frame and was at only 63 pitches. I understand it.

6. I’m sure Saturday’s performance bought Tillman another start, but I’ve said before the problem is this feels close to his ceiling at this point. Allowing four earned runs over six innings — a 6.00 ERA — lowered his season mark by more than two full runs.

8

7. Many have questioned Chance Sisco’s throwing ability at the major league level, but he became the first Orioles catcher since Matt Wieters in 2012 to gun down three runners attempting to steal in a game. He’s now thrown out seven of 11 trying to swipe a bag this season.

8. Tanner Scott allowed one hit and struck out one in two scoreless frames. Despite little experience above the Double-A level and well-documented control issues, the hard-throwing lefty has presented himself well in two major league appearances this season.

9. Saturday was the fifth time in eight games at Camden Yards in which the Orioles have failed to record a hit through the first three innings. They’re begging to put themselves in an early hole with that formula.

10. I’m guessing Showalter wasn’t daydreaming about an April 21 lineup featuring Craig Gentry, Pedro Alvarez, Luis Sardinas, and Anthony Santander over the winter. Then again, established bats aren’t producing either.

11. Santander has shown some promise, but he’s batting .170 and his on-base plus slugging percentage has dipped to .497. His Rule 5 requirement will be satisfied next month, which will allow him to return to the minors. The right field problem will remain, however.

12. The Indians offense has been nearly as bad as the Orioles so far, but Cleveland is allowing nearly half as many runs per game. Elite pitching always gives you a chance.

Share the Post:
8

Paid Advertisement

Right Now in Baltimore

As MLB moves toward inevitable labor war, where do Orioles fit into the battle?

As MLB moves toward inevitable labor war, where do Orioles fit into the battle?

We're all excited about the possibilities of the 2026 MLB season but the clouds of labor war are percolating even in spring training. Luke Jones and Nestor discuss the complicated complications of six decades of Major League Baseball labor history and the bubbling situation for a salary cap. And what will the role of the new Baltimore Orioles ownership be in the looming dogfight?
Profits are up, accountability is down and internal report cards are a no-no for guys like Steve

Profits are up, accountability is down and internal report cards are a no-no for guys like Steve

The NFL continues to rule the sports world even in the slowest of times. Luke Jones and Nestor discuss the NFLPA report cards on franchises and transparency and accountability amongst billionaires who can't even get an Epstein List regular who just hired John Harbaugh to come to light and off their ownership ledgers. We'd ask Steve Bisciotti about it, but of course he's evaporated again for a while...
Orioles' Westburg out through at least April with partially torn elbow ligament

Orioles' Westburg out through at least April with partially torn elbow ligament

Since playing in the 2024 All-Star Game, Jordan Westburg has endured a relentless run of injuries.
8
8
8

Paid Advertisement

Scroll to Top
Verified by MonsterInsights