With several hours to process the surprise of the Ravens cutting running back Justin Forsett, below are a plethora of questions related to the decision:
1. The possibility of this outcome crossed my mind at a few points during Forsett’s underwhelming summer, but did the Ravens really cut their starting running back who made the Pro Bowl two years ago?
2. Will Baltimore bring him back after Week 1 when vested veteran salaries are no longer guaranteed for the whole season?
3. Would Forsett even want to return under such an arrangement?
4. After holding him out of two preseason games entirely and giving him a total of seven carries this summer, did the Ravens give the 30-year-old a fair chance to keep his job?
5. Given Forsett’s past success in Gary Kubiak’s offensive system, will the Denver Broncos come calling for his services?
6. With just two healthy tailbacks entering the season opener next Sunday, do the Ravens have enough depth at the position?
7. Terrance West shed weight and clearly impressed this summer, but can the Ravens really trust him as their starter with a history that resulted in two bad teams dumping him over the last calendar year?
8. Has Buck Allen shown enough to be a reliable No. 2 running back after his own unimpressive preseason that prompted many to question his job security?
9. Are the Ravens too confident that exciting rookie Kenneth Dixon will come back from a torn MCL in his left knee to pick up where he left off this summer?
10. Why didn’t general manager Ozzie Newsome or head coach John Harbaugh issue statements recognizing Forsett’s important contributions on and off the field in the same way they have for virtually any notable veteran to be released over the years?
11. Am I the only one who thought it was strange that Ravens players weren’t tweeting farewells or their support to Forsett, who has been a popular teammate over the last two years?
12. Was there any cryptic meaning in the tweet Forsett posted shortly after the news broke on Saturday afternoon?
The plot thickens.. ? #GodIsInControl
— Justin Forsett (@JForsett) September 3, 2016
13. Given the veteran’s reputation for having good field vision, are the Ravens really that comfortable with a revamped offensive line and a running game that averaged 3.6 yards per carry this preseason?
14. The Ravens are saving $3 million by cutting Forsett, but will the salary cap space be worth it?
15. Are the young backs ready to pick up the slack in pass protection, an area where Forsett excelled?
16. Will fullback Kyle Juszczyk have a more meaningful role in the offense this year?
17. How much will the backfield miss Forsett’s leadership on the field and in the classroom?
18. Will a trio of tailbacks totaling only 152 more career rushing yards than Forsett had in his 2014 Pro Bowl season alone make Ravens fans forget all about the veteran?
19. Did the Ravens get too wrapped up in summer performance from younger players that can frequently turn out to be a mirage?
20. Will this long-winded list of questions look silly in the next couple days, weeks, or months, or did the Ravens just make a big mistake?