Paid Advertisement

Ravens elevate three-time Pro Bowl receiver Bryant to play in Indianapolis

Paid Advertisement

Podcast Audio Vault

Paid Advertisement

On the same day six players were reinstated from the reserve-COVID-19 list, the Ravens officially added a three-time Pro Bowl wide receiver to the mix for Sundayโ€™s game against Indianapolis.

Less than two weeks after signing with Baltimoreโ€™s practice squad, Dez Bryant was elevated Saturday and poised to play in his first NFL game since the end of the 2017 season. The 32-year-old has practiced with the Ravens for each of the last two weeks and apparently made a strong enough impression to make his 2020 debut against the Colts, especially after rookie wide receiver Devin Duvernay was added to Fridayโ€™s injury report with a thigh injury.

When asked about Bryant after Fridayโ€™s practice, head coach John Harbaugh offered no indication that the former Dallas Cowboyโ€™s debut was imminent.

โ€œWhen we feel like heโ€™s ready to come up, in shape, knows the offense well enough and has enough compatibility with Lamar [Jackson] on enough plays, then weโ€™ll bring him up,โ€ Harbaugh said. So, when it happens โ€” I think it will happen โ€” I donโ€™t think itโ€™s something you want to force-feed in there. Weโ€™ll just have to see as we go.โ€

The Ravens hope Bryant can provide a red-zone presence and a spark for an offense that entered the weekend ranked 31st in the NFL in passing yards per game and 21st in yards per passing attempt. In his final season with the Cowboys in 2017, the 6-foot-2, 220-pound wideout caught 69 passes for 838 yards and six touchdowns in 16 games, but Bryant had three straight 1,200-yard receiving seasons from 2012-14 and has caught 73 touchdowns in his career.

Despite concerns even a few years ago about knee, foot, and ankle injuries having impacted his ability to separate from defenders โ€” a perception that wasnโ€™t helped after he tore his Achilles tendon days after signing with the New Orleans Saints two years ago โ€” Bryant drew praise from Jackson earlier this week.

โ€œHeโ€™s a great route runner. He has strong hands. Heโ€™s dialed in into the playbook,โ€ Jackson said. โ€œHeโ€™s always asking me questions about the playbook โ€” stuff like that. He wants to compete. I just canโ€™t wait until he gets out there with us on Sundays.โ€

8

Bryant will finally have that opportunity after a near-three-year wait.

In other Saturday roster news, the Ravens officially activated Patrick Queen, DeShon Elliott, L.J. Fort, Tyus Bowser, Terrell Bonds, and Malik Harrison from the reserve-COVID-19 list after they all received a negative virus test result for the fifth straight day on Saturday. However, Fort was added to the injury report and ruled out for Sunday with a finger injury that hadnโ€™t previously been disclosed.

With open roster spots to replace left tackle Ronnie Stanley (ankle) and right guard Tyre Phillips after they were placed on injured reserve this week, the Ravens promoted Bonds and inside linebacker Kristian Welch from the practice squad to the 53-man roster. Veteran wide receiver Chris Moore was also placed on IR after sustaining a thigh injury during practice this week.

Baltimore also elevated safety Geno Stone from the practice squad to be able to play against the Colts on Sunday.

Share the Post:

Paid Advertisement

Right Now in Baltimore

A Friday "after hours" Harbaugh extension news dump and Justin Tucker is still the Ravens' kicker

A Friday "after hours" Harbaugh extension news dump and Justin Tucker is still the Ravens' kicker

All is very quiet in Owings Mills and the aftermath of the NFL Owners Meetings in Florida but owner Steve Bisciotti (quietly) inked head coach John Harbaugh to a three-year extension and team president Sashi Brown defended keeping Justin Tuckerโ€ฆ
Who is going to pitch in for Orioles as starters leave early?

Who is going to pitch in for Orioles as starters leave early?

After Grayson Rodriguez went down in spring training, we knew this rotation was going to look shaky as the Orioles' season began but the first week has been a preview of what's to come and that means the relief corpsโ€ฆ
Maryland officially names Buzz Williams as new men's basketball coach

Maryland officially names Buzz Williams as new men's basketball coach

Most recently with Texas A&M, the 52-year-old has led his teams to 11 NCAA Tournament appearances in 18 years as a head coach.

Paid Advertisement

Verified by MonsterInsights